Let me tell you about the Astrolux EC01.
Using the great Anduril Firmware, it can be customized to the users preferences. The most recent light I reviewed using the same system was the Lumintop FW3A. A little later in this review I’ll describe how to operate the EC01… although it’s identical to the Lumintop.
Plain & Simple Presentation
The standard Astrolux box is a minimalists dream. Accessory-wise, it’s just the basics. A very detailed user manual, a spacer for a 18650 battery, a lanyard and spare O-rings are all that accompanies the flashlight. The USB charging port is meant for a type C connector… which you’ll need to supply yourself.
- Weight (with battery); 6.63 ounces
- Width (head); 1.4″
- Length; 4.7″
- LED; Cree XHP50.2
- High transmittance glass lens
- Max output; 3500 lumens
- Max beam throw; 298 meters
- Battery; either ONE 21700 (recommended) or ONE 18650
- Body; Aero-grade aluminum w/Type-III anodizing
- Waterproof to IPX-8
- Internal USB charging
- User-defined interface
- Two selectable operating interfaces
- Illuminated switch
- Mode memory
- Electronic side switch
- Electronic lock-out
Astrolux EC01 Interfaces
As is standard with the firmware, their are two user-interfaces, smooth ramping and stepped ramping. The DEFAULT is smooth, but switching between the two is as simple as clicking the switch three times while the light is on.
So as I just mentioned, unless you change it, smooth ramping is the default.
One click turns on the light. To ramp up, press and hold the switch. If you P&H again within three seconds, it’ll ramp in the opposite direction. A single click turns it off.
To switch to the step mode, click (don’t knock like Tony Orlando would) THREE times while it’s on. It’ll give a short blink to confirm the change. By pressing and holding you’ll advance through seven step modes… lowest to highest. It works the same as in a “smooth” ramp, where if you P&H within three seconds, it’ll go in the opposite direction.
Other Useful Functions
- Instant Turbo*; double-click, whether ON or OFF
- Instant Moonlight; while OFF, press & hold for 1.5 seconds
- Battery voltage check; blinks out the voltage of the battery. To engage, click THREE times from OFF.
* Turbo is meant to be used sparingly. After about a minute of constant output, it will begin a slow descent so as to diminish the possibility of excessive heat buildup.
Changing Stuff Around
If these settings work well for you, then you needn’t do anything. BUT, if you enjoy a challenge and desire a customized light, then you may change it! It’s not hard… you just click FOUR times while it’s on. It goes into a “buzz” mode, which is a cue to press the switch for as many times as required, in order to set the desired action. As the instructions to do this is somewhat “wordy” I’ll just refer you to the manual.
FYI; the only settings you can change in the smooth ramp, is how low it goes, and how high it reaches. The default turbo setting is about 80%. In the stepping UI, you can set the NUMBER OF STEPS you want it to take, as well as selecting how low and how HIGH you want the extremes to be.
- In Momentary mode, you can have the EC01 operate only as a single-mode light, which only works for as long as you’re holding the switch. You must select the output you want in the present mode, prior to engaging “momentary”. To engage; click FIVE times while OFF.
- Muggle mode is for the very sensitive and thoughtful flashlight owner! “What the hell does that mean”? Well, it’s for when someone who knows nothing about flashlights……asks to borrow yours. And because YOU are such a thoughtful friend, and you don’t want them to get confused when using it…or worse yet, start a fire! ~ you engage Muggle mode! While in “muggle” it has very few functions…and tops out at 240 lumens!! To engage; click SIX times while OFF. (repeat to cancel)
- Electronic Lockout ensures it won’t turn on in your pocket. Just so it’s not completely useless while locked, you can get momentary “moonlight” by just pressing the switch. To engage Lockout, click FOUR times while OFF. (repeat to cancel)
There are two sets of modes that offer unique settings.
Group 1; To engage, click three times from OFF
- BattCheck; this is the voltage check as described above
- Sunset/Nitey-Night Mode; lulls you to sleep! (automatic shut-off)
- Beacon; uses the previous output-level … adjusting ahead is recommended (blink speed is configurable)
- TempCheck; displays the current air temperature in Celsius (can be calibrated if needed)
Group 2; To engage, click TWICE, then HOLD on the THIRD click
- Candle mode; simulates a flickering candle
- Bike flasher;
- Party strobe; motion-freezing strobe (adjustable)
- Tactical strobe; (adjustable)
- Lightning storm; simulates violent weather
“Switch” Back Light
This is where you can control the illumination of the switch. This is meant only when the light is OFF.
Basically you have three choices. The back light can either be high illumination, low illumination, blinking, or completely off. Each time you perform the seven clicks, it’ll toggle through each of them. Select the one you like best.
Internal USB Charging
The Astrolux EC01 needs to charge via a USB-C connector. Once connected, the indicator will be red, then turn green when finished.
The Big Beam Shots
Astrolux EC01, in General
There’s no denying, that it’s the firmware which makes the EC01, the flashlight that it is. This isn’t the only light using the Anduril, but when you have one that does, you have a product that goes beyond the norm. I love how the firmware allows the user to customize the light. I’m sure the majority of owners don’t regard “lightning storm” as an important feature… but it’s there as a conversation piece for your non-“flashaholic” friends!
The EC01 is comfortable to use, and the beam is quite pleasing. The size of the barrel makes pocket carry a bit of a challenge with jeans… but works okay for a larger pocket. It would’ve been nice if a holster were included. They actually have one, and you can get it here.
Having a 21700 battery as the intended power source is great for runtime. Provided of course the one you use is higher than 3500mAh. A 21700 is a nice compromise between a 18650 and a 26650. At least the EC01 can use a 18650 without issue. Because there’s a large spring at both the head and tail, you’ll find flat-top batteries work just as well as button-top types 🙂
Ready to Own?
I received the Astrolux EC01 from Banggood.com! Visiting them would be the best way to put one in your pocket 🙂 And while you’re there…enter coupon code BGEC01A at checkout to save a few extra bucks!